Monday, January 26, 2009

Arrival in Firenze!

At 12:30pm, my Air Dolomiti flight landed in the beautiful city of FIRENZE! From the runway you could see the Duomo in the distance, which besides the Ponte Vecchio is my one true point of demarcation in this city. Me and the rest of the group all got our bags together, left the airport, and said our goodbyes.

I took a cab from the airport to my cousin Federico’s apartment. This is the part where I ran into a little bit of trouble. After paying the cab driver 23 euro and telling him “yo homes, smell you later” I looked at my kingdom and I was finally there….at a 7 story apartment building, alone, with 3 bags. If you’ve ever seen an Italian apartment building, there is one plaque type thing with doorbells for each of the however many apts. there are in the place. Well, Federico’s has about 20. Because there’s a constant flow of people moving in and out of the apt, there is no specific name on the doorbell…

I followed an old man into the building, but then was stuck in the lobby with no one around. I was just livin’ life in the lobby for about 10 minutes until one of Federico’s roommates, a British kid named Nathan (who looks like Ron Weasley) came down and greeted me. He Helped me carry my bags into the elevator, which I realized is about half the size of a normal American elevator. After settling in, I took a nap and waited for Federico to come home from work.

2 comments:

  1. Aaah I'm on the edge of my seat here!
    Glad to see you're still living life with no regrets. Can't wait to see these pictureees

    ReplyDelete
  2. "After paying the cab driver 23 euro and telling him “yo homes, smell you later” I looked at my kingdom and I was finally there….at a 7 story apartment building, alone, with 3 bags." ... oh little cousin, you crack me up! god, i love you and am so proud of you :)

    ps. i shouldve warned you about those apartments. after 5 weeks in rome, the girls and i still couldnt figure out which button lead to our own apartment! i constantly had to follow little old ladies into the place haha

    ReplyDelete